April 15, 1499

Dear Diary,

Today, my dreams came true! I have just heard word that my request to go to Asia was accepted. I am embarking on an expedition to India. I am quite eager for this experience. I feel as though my entire life has been building up to the moment when that ship departs from the dock. My father, Nastagio Vespucci, has always preached curiosity to me, and my three brothers. Perhaps that is why I have always loved books, especially concerning science, and geography. I received an education pertaining to Classical Greek, and Latin texts. I worked as the Medici financial manager in Paris, France for fifteen years. I am not the only soul who is inspired by the evidence that Christopher Columbus has returned with. One can haul in a fortune if one plays his cards right in Asia. Technically, I am representing the Spanish financial interest backing this journey, basically a veedor. This task will not only be a new type of test of my knowledge, but also will augment my idea of a once in a lifetime event. Not all of the supplies are ready for such a long trip. We plan to leave in May, and until then, I will be waiting anxiously.

Amerigo Vespucci