November 25, 1501

Dear Diary,

Now we’re heading back after a year and a half away from home. I’m just starting to feel homesick now, but we’ll be home soon. Well I’ve been sending some letters back to Lorenzo di Pier Francesco de Medici. I’ve been explaining to him my belief that this is not India but actually a New World (Mundus Novus) and also I have been telling him of the natives I have met and studied. I don’t know if he has even read them yet but I hope he reads them before I return; I will need someone to talk to about all this. It seems that the goals of this voyage were fulfilled but not what the Europeans want to hear though. The Europeans want to know that we found an easy route to the Spice Islands or to India, but that won’t happen because there is a huge continent in the way of another route to Asia. When our crew sailed to the southernmost tip of the New World, we saw another vast ocean stretching westward.

Home is where the heart is.

Amerigo Vespucci