May 1, 1501

Dear Diary,

Wow, we came across two of Pedro Álvares Cabral’s Ships near Cape Verde; I hope I get to see what he saw someday, namely Asia. We have been docked in Cape Sao Roque and I’ve already noticed some new Star Constellations like the Alpha and Beta Centauri and the Crux. It is strange that I’ve never seen them before. We are going to check out some more rivers and meet some more natives, who have so far been pretty welcoming to us and I’ve also tried many new and strange fruits that grow here. I’ve also seen many different plants than that of Asia and Europe. I’m not sure these people are Indians but maybe completely different, like a race previously unknown. I learn more about them every day. I think that this would be a valuable place to colonize for Portugal because of the high money making potential. There are a lot of foods that people would like back in Europe.

Well, now we are going to set sail for, well, somewhere.

God, keep us out of trouble.

Amerigo Vespucci